Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between SmartStrand Silk lines

Posted by RacinReaver (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 2:03

Hi,

I'm in the market for some new carpet, and have found that I really like the Smartstrand Silk fiber. I'm a little frustrated at the moment, though, since I've gotten quotes from the local places selling the carpet, and while they feel very similar, they have a different style name. Vendors aren't being very forthcoming with info like twist/weight/etc, so all I really have to go on is what's on the back of the samples.

My two favorite styles are:
1V15 Gentle Essence
1V77 Mellow Haven

I can find info about Gentle Essence on the Mohawk site, but Mellow Haven seems to be almost non-existent. The only thing holding me back from going with gentle essence is I was quoted a considerably higher price for what feels like, to me, the same thing.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on which padding to go with these? It'll be installed on a concrete slab foundation. Everywhere has been giving me quotes with various #8 pads, but they're all different brands. Everyone also seems to be discouraging us from getting the pad sold by Mohawk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between SmartStrand Silk lines

What is wrong with the Mohawk pad?

o

I would like to know what you have heard about Mohawk pad also. I paid a bit more to put in the pink Mohawk SmartPad with my Silk carpet last year because I was told it had a moisture barrier and that a good pad would extend the life of the carpet. So far it had been great, but now you have me worried.

o

If Gentle Essence & Mellow Haven are both in the Smartstrand Silk line, then they will be comparable products. They will both have amazing wear performance, stain and soil protection, and durability. I would go with your personal style preference RacinRaver.

SmartCushion has a moisture barrier film which prevents spills from getting into the pad for easier clean up. If there is no moisture present, SmartCushion will protect against spills & stains that get into the padding. For installations on a slab where moisture might be present, you should prob use a synthetic fiber cushion which will allow it to evaporate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here