Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plan9_gw

Raising subfloor 1/16"

Plan9
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm not sure how to proceed here.

I'm living in a home that last had a major remodel in the 1960s.

Currently, the kitchen has a 3/4" plywood subfloor, that is in good condition from what I've seen. Outside of the kitchen going into the dining room and entry way the subfloor is exactly 1/16" higher.

I fathom this is so, because the homeowner at the time wanted the vinyl/asbestos kitchen tiles to be flush with the subfloor in the rest of the downstairs for whatever reason. I presume the rest of the downstairs was carpeted at one time.

The vinyl is in rough shape. (hidden by atrocious cheap laminate) Many pieces are missing and/or cracked. I'd like to proceed with removing the remainder of them and address any issues the plywood may need.

The plan is to put in a floating vinyl luxury floor in the kitchen that will carry through to the front door.

What product exists that I can easily raise my kitchen floor up 1/16" to match the rest of the downstairs?

Comments (8)

• green-zeus
    9 years ago

A great way to do this is with a threshold to transition the 2 floors. You can find them done in wood, marble, and even granite. I had to transition a floor, that had a severe slope to it, to an existing tile floor. I measured the height difference and gave it to my granite guy who made a custom threshold for me. A 1/6th of an inch is very easy to transition.

• User
    9 years ago

You could use some type of felt paper or Ardex Feather Finish. With only 1/16" inch you can skim the floor out from doorways about 5' and you'll never notice the rise.

• Plan9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm trying to avoid having a threshold as I want the floor to flow from the entry way into the kitchen. But, if the threshold is intentional and made out of a nice material it could look good.

What is the depth of your threshold as it spans the two rooms?

After I posted last night, I got to thinking and thought maybe I could put down some 2.5 mm cork in the kitchen as an underlayment, and the 1 mm foam out in the entry way.

I've also thought about using a floor leveling compound but was unsure how far that would need to be tapered out. Five feet sounds reasonable.

• attofarad
    9 years ago

If I understand correctly, you are putting in floating floor. I would just use #15 building paper, and taper it as JFCWood said. This is a 10 minute job. That will probably be about 3 layers at the 1/16" step, then 2 layers, then one layer. You could do that over as little as one foot, but I might taper it over the 3 foot width of the roll of felt paper. I personally don't have good "trowel skills," so I don't think I would use feather finish, but that would also be a quick job (hey, it dries in about 8 minutes, so it has to be quick).

I wouldn't try to match different thicknesses of different materials -- I don't think that they will squish the same. Better to match up the subfloor, then use the same underlayment everywhere.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Are you installing the floor or hiring a professional?

If hiring someone, explain to them what needs to be done, or at least your desired expectations. the installer should be able to add whatever material is needed to make 1/16".

• green-zeus
    9 years ago

Thresholds look real nice in a doorway. I've done many of them, some in marble and some in granite. They are tapered on both sides and are an easy transition to walk over. Because you are only dealing with a 1/16TH of an inch, the threshold will be very low--maybe only 1/4 to 3/8 inch high. Just thick enough so it can be cut without cracking. Check with a good flooring company or a tile supplier, or a granite company. A good granite company can make nearly ANYTHING out of granite.

A stone threshold gives a higher end look than wood, in my opinion, and is much more durable.

• Plan9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

15# it is. Quick, easy, and inexpensive. And should not at all at the least affect the performance of the end result.