Return to the Fish & Game Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Be Sure of your Target and All BEHIND It!!

Posted by bill_vincent (billvincent@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Dec 8, 06 at 8:26

I know this sounds like elementary firearms indoctrination, but so many accidents can be avoided by following these two simple MANDATORY rules!!

It happened again yesterday. Everyone up here breathed a collective sigh of relief Thanksgiving weekend. The state of Maine made it thru centerfire hunting season without a single serious hunting mishap. The black powder season started back up the following monday, but that's usually no big deal. Usually the people who hunt black powder are purist hunters, and pay much more attention to what they're doing.

Yesterday, next town over from me, a teenaged girl was out in her yard and was shot in the chest and killed by a hunter. (For those who want to look it up, it happened in South Paris, Maine) This was completely unnecessary, and could have been avoided by following those two ELEMENTARY RULES OF FIREARMS INDOCTRINATION!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Be Sure of your Target and All BEHIND It!!

Well put, Bill! One can never forget the basics of firearm safety. Tradgies like the one you mention are fuel for the fire of anti-hunting people who would like to see all of us turned out of the forest for the sins of a few. I cringe when I am in the woods and here mutiple gunshots, one right after another. Why do some people not relize those bullets are going somewhere and can hit anything that is in their path? We are responsible for the image we create of ourselves and our sport and, quite honestly, there are some who are ruining it for everyone.

Two more basic rules that should NEVER be forgotten -

1 - Treat every gun as if it is loaded. ['Nuff said!]
2 - Never point a weapon at anything that you do not intend to shoot. [A scope is not a set of binoculars!]

Thanks Bill for the reminder! nova

o

From a novice perspective I think it would help to have more specific information easily available. One 22 often has a different range than a different 22. Start using different types of ammo and things get really different.
I don't think a lot of people really think about how long range even a small caliber can go.

o

The only information you need to be available is that any projectile-- even a pellet-- can kill. Always treat every gun as if it's loaded, never point a firearm at anything you don't intend to shoot, and always be sure of your target and what's behind it. Follow those three rules, and you'll never have an "accident". I put that word in quotes because those are the three most important cardinal rules in gun safety, and the only way anything ever goes wrong is if one of those rules aren't followed. That means it's not an accident. it's negligence.

o

Never point a firearm at anything you dont intend to shoot
be sure what's behind your target

Which does not negate my post - if you miss your target or your shot goes through, which is why I'm assuming you are saying be sure what's behind your target
you need to know what is behind your target for how far? Surely something is out there everywhere at some distance. If you didn't have some idea of range you would never shoot a firearm anywhere but at a bermed firing range.

This thread is called fish and game. Not target shooting.

I do understand the need for safety. But in order to be safe outside a bubble you need to understand in addition to the basic rules.

o

A woman was killed a week ago in the foothills by a 14 year old who thought she was a bear. He and a 16 year old friend were dropped off by his grandfather in a popular hiking area. The woman was in a meadow and was shot from 120 yards as she kneeled down to get something from her back pack. The boy used his scope to make sure that he was shooting at a bear.

He used a .270 rifle and she died from a single shot in the chest. The weather was overcast and there was some light fog in the area. After the shot they walked over to see if the bear was dead and found the woman lying near death, she died before any help could arrive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fish & Game Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here