Return to the Fish & Game Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need recommendation on fishing gear

Posted by rlcollins043 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 14:17

Looking for a gift for my dad for Christmas. He loves to fish -- mostly in the Great Lakes. He seems to have every piece of gear known to man (according to my mother), but I'd like to get him something unusual or something he might not buy for himself. Is there something new or cool out there that has piqued your interest? Or something you really love? Price range would be about $200.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need recommendation on fishing gear

Bank fishing, boat, pier?

o

Yes, yes and yes. LOL

Probably mostly boat.

o

Reel covers are a nice gift. Saves on cleaning when in storage

o

Does your dad have a meat smoker yet?

o

If your dad does alot of fishing by boat, GPS would be the BEST thing you could get him if he doesn't have it already. If he finds a hotspot, all he has to do is create a waypoint on the GPS, and it'll bring him right back within 10 feet of so, every time.

(I know if it were me, that's what I'D want in that price range!! LOL)

o

Tell me where you got a good GPS for $200?

o

Check Bass Pro Shops. I mean, we're not talking NASA quality for that much, but it'll bring you back to a remote hump or brush pile out on the lake!!

o

ahhhh... i dont fish lakes

o

Lowrance IFinder H2O Hand held GPS. $169. Cool piece of equipment. I haven't figured mine out yet. LOL.

Really nice polarized sunglasses are also a fantastic gift for a fisherman.

Kevin

I like muskies, everything else is just bait.

o

Muskies make good Marlin bait LOL

o

A vacuum sealer is a must have for fishermen. You can get a very nice one for 200. Another suggestion would be a vintage tackle box from his boyhood era.

o

hotdiggety-- you got your OWN version of muskies-- they're called BARRACUDA!! :-)

o

I was going to say vacuum bagger also. MY DH would be hard to buy for . I think we have been to every boat and fishing show lately. So have new rods and reels. Fish mostly lakes here in Iowa. And have fishing gear catalog. Say friend wants to buy for her boyfriend. See what he wants.. Look through his tackle box-take a picture. Anyone at good sporting shop could tell by that what he would like.

o

Bill, We fish for Snapper Ling King Marlin Dorado Shark Tuna and grouper

o

so hotdiggetydam, have you ever fished Lake Michigan?

Its just like fishing the ocean, except there is no salt in the water so it doesn't corrode our your gear as much, and there are no sharks....

o

if its not salty and loaded with sharks its not fishing

o

How do you know, if you've never done it.

You sound like one of those people who think inland seas are just lakes...

http://www.sailnet.com/sailing/02/f&bdec02.htm

o

Been there , done that, moved on............

o

I have found typically that people who diss the Great Inland Seas of North America, have never fished or sailed there, which is why I asked.

My last fishing trip to Florida was a bit of bust because the darn hurricane (that never came close to shore) had created such big seas, that there were small craft advisories the entire week that I was there. I had two charters scheduled for that week and both were cancelled due to waves. The surfing was great but fishing was off. I don't surf, but had fun watching.

Because the sea was not cooperating, We did do some intercoastal waterway fishing. Got into the speckled trout which was fun. Didn't get any redfish this trip though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fish & Game Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here