SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nova_gw

AH! The joys of black powder hunting!

nova_gw
17 years ago

Our black powder season just opened yesterday so of course I took the day off work and hit the woods at 6am. For those who haven't tried early season hunting in Florida, let me try to describe it. First the 'skeeters- big enough to drain you dry in a matter of minutes, thank god for thermocell! Then of course the heat- it was only 87 yesterday so it wasn't too bad, but during bow it got into the nineties!

So anyway, back to yesterdays hunt. Sat all morning and saw nothing! Back to the trucks around 10 and chatted with everyone and amoung 5 hunters in the same area I was the only on who drew a blank. Back out that afternoon, sat to dark and still nothing but this time I felt better as only one doe was spotted in the group.

During the night we had a "cold" front come thru with a good bit of wind and rain. This morning was great! Cool, about 70, and the woods damp and quiet. Back in the stand before sunrise set up and ready.

Then there he was! A nice 6 point appeared from nowhere like a ghost! He was standing broad side about 30 yards away sniffing the air as if he didn't have a care in the world. I drew down and took a deep steadying breath. Gentally I squeezed the trigger and-

POP! not boom but POP! Misfire! Mr. 6 point strolled away as I tried to recap the gun but it was too late. He was gone!

Disgusted and back at the house I took the gun to the clearing pit to try to clear it. Sure enough first cap and it went off! Darn, Drat and a few other words that I can't use here.

AH! The joys of black powder hunting!

Comments (11)