Return to the Fish & Game Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish Leftovers ????

Posted by bunky_mi (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 11:49

After cleaning I usually throw my fish Guts and Skins in my Trash Dumpster (Big one not a curbside unit) But it Attracts flies and is terribly smelly...

What do others Do with the leftovers???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish Leftovers ????

Plastic bag em, first.

o

I'm not quite sure what my husband does with his, but I think he throws them in the wood-fired boiler (it's like a big wood stove). He fishes only for bass, so he doesn't keep very many fish.

We don't have regular trash pick up, so we always put meat scraps in a big zip-lock bag and keep it in the freezer until it's time to go to the landfill. So that's what I suggest you do--keep the guts and skins in the freezer until your trash pickup day.

o

You can bury them in the garden. Or you can compost them.

o

Around here if you try burying something like fish guts, there'll be a racoon or skunk leavin a thankyou note. :-)

o

Here in Florida the guts, scales and other non eatable pieces of fish are buried by my Grapefruit tree and the roses. So far, 20 years, no other critters are using them for food. I don't go hunting anymore so have not had to hire a backhoe for animal remains.

o

The best way to do with the fish left overs and avoid flies from coming is to put them in a compost pit. They can be used as an organic fertilizer. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fish & Game Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here