SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runsnwalken

Giants of the past... could they be restored..... how long?

runsnwalken
15 years ago

I was up early this morning researching gigantic freshwater fish. Namely the Beluga sturgeon. Can you believe these guys once grew 28 feet and were estimated to be 3,970 lbs at their largest. Thats bigger then an ocean sunfish! As big as this is, there is one other surgeon species that MIGHT have reached weights of 1000 kg! I forgot the name but its a siaberian species headed now almost to extinction. How long would it take for them to reach breeding size and could they be farmed to release back into nature, also I heard that the 1000 kg sturgeon type goes through three to four year periods between spawnings as a mature adult so they do not rebuild very quickly . I know that many nonnative fishes have been dumped into our local rivers, I'm thinking mainly this time of the asian carps rapidly invading the lower mississippi, could it be these giant sturgeon could be used to control invading carp, most of these monsters DO eat lots of boney fishes as adults and sense they are so rare maybe the DNR would see fit to interduce them in areas heavily carp infested where local native fishes populations have been exhausted maybe they could net off areas of the river to keep these sturgeon contained and use those for breeding stock.. At the same time if there's any local fisheries they could give a reward to people to release these fishes.

Just ideas, and has anyone on here fished for Sturgeon. I caught a shovelnose once.

Comments (3)