Return to the Fish & Game Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking with Goose

Posted by wynative (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 9:27

I recently won 1st place (in the Jerky division) at the Mother Plucker's Goose Cookoff in Wyoming! I have NEVER cooked, ate or hunted them before so this came as a total surprise. I used my Summer Sausage reciepe that I use for deer & elk, basiclly just add sprices until you can't detect any 'goosy' smell. hehehehe

Now that I have placed, I have been told by my husband that I will be entering for the Main dish and appitizer's next year....

Does any one have a favorite receipe that they will share with me?

Here is the Summer Sausage one that I used:

5lbs ground Goose or meat of choice
1 1/2 lbs ground Pork fat
1/2 C pepper corns
2 Tbls mustard seed
2 Tbls tender quick or canning salt
2 Tbls celery seed
2 tsp ground sage
2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp garlic powder

Mix all above together with hands. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 24 hours. Mix again with hands, form into 1/2 lb logs, place on cookie sheet and bake at 300 for 1 to 2 hours until done.

Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking with Goose

(BG) Hubby and son just left to go goose hunting so I sat down to browse through the web and came across this post!

Anyway, we prefer to home can our goose, just as you would venison. Hence then, we really like goose soup which is veggie soup using goose instead of beef. YUM!

o

I grew up on a dairy farm in N.E.Ohio where we raised our own geese and we stuffed & baked a goose for the holidays in the same manner as most ppl prepare a turkey. In fact, I never tasted turkey until my first holiday in the military.

o

My only cook book for game is:

Cy Littlebee's Guide to Cooking Fish and Game

published by Missouri Dept Conservation

covers a recipe or two for all types of game; muskrat included.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fish & Game Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here