Return to the Fish & Game Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on BB gun for pest non-native birds

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 9:38

I'm not a hunter so I'll say right up front I don't know zip about this which is why I'm asking for help. If the whole idea is stupid feel free to say so.

I like having bird feeders in the backyard but have a tough time with the hordes of house sparrows. Now to make it worse, the Starlings have found me. I can't afford to keep a backyard feeder full with these guys around. They go through everything I put out (quite a bit) in minutes.
A couple of years ago in a different location I looked into the idea of shooting some, there a pellet gun would have worked (country, 9 acres) but before I bought one I ended up moving to this new location in town. I have a small woodline behind me but it is in town. The feeders are close so I think a BB gun would work fine, be much quieter (how quiet?). It is legal to kill Starlings and House Sparrows as they are non-native.
Don't know about firing a BB gun in town though.
If that's not an issue - anyone have BB gun recommendations?
Thanks,
Mary
P.S. I have shot before at targets (former Air National Guard) and took a NRA safety class a long long time ago so am not totally unfamiliar with firearms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on BB gun for pest non-native birds

Checked local ordinances and its disallowed.

o

Thank goodness. The problem isn't so much with taking the lives of the birds. The problem is what happens with any bb's or pellets that miss their mark. You could do alot of damage, and even injure someone, especially if you're aiming higher than level.

o

There is a fairly deep patch of woods behind me and the next buildings are fairly far away. Plus I could limit shooting only those on the ground, since they are only about 20 feet from me I think it would be pretty safe.

o

Go to the following thread, and read the 4th post down:

Here is a link that might be useful: Be sure of your target and all behind it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fish & Game Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here