SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Need advice on BB gun for pest non-native birds

marys1000
16 years ago

I'm not a hunter so I'll say right up front I don't know zip about this which is why I'm asking for help. If the whole idea is stupid feel free to say so.

I like having bird feeders in the backyard but have a tough time with the hordes of house sparrows. Now to make it worse, the Starlings have found me. I can't afford to keep a backyard feeder full with these guys around. They go through everything I put out (quite a bit) in minutes.

A couple of years ago in a different location I looked into the idea of shooting some, there a pellet gun would have worked (country, 9 acres) but before I bought one I ended up moving to this new location in town. I have a small woodline behind me but it is in town. The feeders are close so I think a BB gun would work fine, be much quieter (how quiet?). It is legal to kill Starlings and House Sparrows as they are non-native.

Don't know about firing a BB gun in town though.

If that's not an issue - anyone have BB gun recommendations?

Thanks,

Mary

P.S. I have shot before at targets (former Air National Guard) and took a NRA safety class a long long time ago so am not totally unfamiliar with firearms.

Comments (4)