Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre fab?

Posted by adamlee (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 17, 10 at 23:39

Hello,

I purchased a home in 97 that has a prefab, metal air circulating fireplace.

I'd like to install a wood burning insert to fully heat the house during the cold months. The wood burning insert I'm looking at states "The factory built fireplace must be listed per UL 127 or ULC S610."

My fireplace has no lable on it, and the house was built in 1974. I've called the chimney sweep in my area, but he's swamped with calls and may not get to me until next month. The prefab looks to be very nice and the flue is 10" wide and lined with metal. If my prefab is ok to install the insert we want, I will install an insulated SS liner as well.

Does anyone have any idea how I can tell if the prefab meets the requirements UL 127 or ULC S610? Or will I have to wait on the chimney sweep for his opinion?

Thanks,

Adam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre fab?

I would do a google or bing search of UL 127 requirements etc. That might turn up something. Alternatively, since UL probably stands for Underwriter Laboratories, you might try their website (I assume they have one).

If those efforts fail to answer your questions, and no one else in this forum is helpful, you might try the website hearth.com. They have a forum that is used my real dyed in the wool fireplace guys. But they might thumb their noses at you because you have a prefab -- they usually deal only with "real" fireplaces.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here