Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mica_gw

real story on mantel heights?

mica
17 years ago

We've installed a Fireplace Xtrordinair 36DVXL LP gas unit in our new home, but are having difficulties finding a mantel shelf that will look right with our setup. The install guide calls for 24" clearance from the top of the arched face to the underside of the mantel. Given that we have a raised hearth and a lowered ceiling height above the fireplace of about 8.5', the 2' clearance requirement doesn't allow for a lot of room for a mantel shelf and a picture or other items on top of the shelf. Visually, we don't want to end up with equal space above and below the shelf. We'd prefer to have the majority of the wall space free above the mantel shelf.

I've seen many photos of fireplaces with mantel shelves less than 2' above the top of the fireplace face - even a picture of our model. I doubt that all of these mantel shelves are made of non-combustible material. I understand that heat output can vary widely across brands and models.

So... do we really have to abide by the 2' minimum clearance as spelled out in the installation guide?

I assume the answer is "yes", but I am looking for some practical advice.

Comments (2)