Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justme4now

Purging?

justme4now
14 years ago

I have a propane gas fireplace.

At the end of last year, when the gas ran out, I shut the valves off on the propane tank and the ones at the fireplace itself.

The gas company came out last week and filled the tank and I turned all of the valves back on and now .. I can't start the fireplace.

When we first bought the house, the gas company filled the propane tank and did something called 'purging' on the line?

The guy was able to start the fireplace with the manual striker .. After a lot of trouble.

That was seven years ago.

From that day on, I have never been able to get the fireplace started with the striker and have always had to take the glass front off of the fireplace and use one of those grill starter butanes to get the pilot to light

Even so, I never had a problem starting the thing .. until now!?

I can't get the pilot going even using the butane and I don't think Any gas is reaching it. (no odor, no flame)

Last year is the only time I have ever turned the valve off on the tank and That seems to be what created the problem? (The tank valve was off when we bought the house and that is when it took a purging to start the fireplace the first time)

Question(s): The tank is under pressure and full .. why am I not getting gas at the pilot?

What is a purge and can I do it myself? (The gas company wants $100.00 to do it)

Is it likely that the air in the line is under more pressure than the propane from the tank and thus .. can't push forward?

Thanks

JM4N