Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gas logs not staying lit

Posted by phil1001 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 07 at 22:05

I am having a problem with my gas fireplace. It is a vented system. i filled the tank and lit the pilot and used it for about a week. When it gets cold,mid 20's or lower, the fireplace goes out. It will not start up and the pilot will go out. I had this problem towards the end of winter last year. a service tech adjusted the vent opening. It seems as if the gas line is freezing. Is that possible? Please help with any suggestions.
Phil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gas logs not staying lit

I suspect your regulator is freezing due to moisture inside of it which freezes the regulator orifice over. To fix this the gas company would 1) replace the regulator and 2) add some methanol to the tank. The lines themselves will not freeze over but the regulators will, not very common but it does happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here