Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moreira85

vented fireplace/ draft

moreira85
15 years ago

we have a brand new house just built. the fireplace is gas and works great, heats the room really well and has a vent that leads to outside directly behind it. when the fireplace is off there is a cold draft coming though the fireplace, is this normal?

Comments (8)

• SeattlePioneer
    15 years ago

A draft indicates that the fireplace probably wasn't sealed properly when it was installed. I'd notify your contractor of the defect and have him hold the feet of the installer to the fire until they correct the problem, which they probably will be reluctent to do.

• paul_2009
    15 years ago

I have the same problem with a Pulte Home we bought 3 years ago. After the first year the Company has refused to fix anything. We have a Heatilator direct vent fireplace which is built into a "Doghouse". I am sure they never insulated it. The fireplace cannot be pulled inside without removing the marble around it. Is there anyway I can insulate this from the outside and what type of insulation would I use. Happy New Year.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

How can a direct vent system have a draft inside the house? DV systems are sealed. If there's a draft, that means the seal is broken, and maybe something else is wrong. That's a problem for an installer to address.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

If a vented fireplace makes a draft, several things need to be checked. You should make sure the damper is closed when you do not use the fireplace. Second, check to find out if the fireplace has an air intake -- these are sometimes hard to detect. They bring fresh air into the firebox from the outside which helps to feed the combustion, or to help boost the chimney updraft when you have a fire. There should be a way to open and close that air intake. Finally, a third thing to consider is to install glass doors to close up the firebox.

• jen8112
    15 years ago

I also have this problem. We just bought this house this summer. It was built 6 years ago, so I don't think getting a hold of the installer is possible. It's a gas fireplace and blows cold air out of the bottom vent. My neighbor (same builder) has the same problem. This is not normal, right? What can I do to fix it? I'm going to try to post a pick of my fireplace front (already has a glass front) and a pic of what the outside looks like (neighbors house, same thing). Thank you!

{{gwi:1528616}}

{{gwi:1528617}}

• michela_2007
    15 years ago

We have a fireplace similar to Jen's and found a magnetic cover that cuts out the cold air. It is black and looks like the cover around our fireplace. We found it online at www.christywalkercreations.com

Here is a link that might be useful: ChristyWalkerCreations, LLC

• andrelaplume2
    15 years ago

I bet you can not close your damper all the way when not in use...likely a damper lock is in place...a downside to vented fp's. Of course vent free has its issues as well.

• maryo
    15 years ago

We have the same fireplace as jen8112. Same logs and everything. We also have the same cold draft across the floor. We took off the bottom panel and put a piece of cardboard in there and DON'T use the fireplace anymore. ALso when we did use it, the flame would leap a foot high after 15 min of burning. Then we got a rainbow burned into the front glass. The co. replaced the glass once but it's starting all over again. The gas is turned as low as possible. I want to put in some kind of gas "switch" on it to cut the supply more but my husband says we can't. I hate this fireplace. HELP