Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
free standing installation ?

Posted by followme21 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 21:36

So I am thinkng about purchasing a used free standing fireplace, its about 35 x 21 x 34 so it pretty good size my question is this. I really dont want the exhaust pipe..(chimney).. to run up the outside of the house. I live in a two-story house with no basement and it would be on the ground level. What I would like to do is run it up the inside along one of the walls. I have read that the chimney needs to be 9' from the wall.. I will be using double wall insulated pipe. How warm will the chimney get? will it be safe to run through the upper floor, leaving 2" space around the pipe, as I have read and through the drywall and all that? sorry this so long.. and thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: free standing installation ?

Be aware that fireplaces are tremendous heat losers ---maybe 10% efficinet at best.

FAR better would be buying modern free standing wood stove, which is probably 70% or so efficient, perhaps more.

And if you don't have the installation manual for the fireplace, don't even attempt to install it. Fireplaces are a great source of home fires, and it is ESSENTIAL to follow the manufacturers installation methods. Double wall pipe, for example, is probably not adequate. All fuel chimney is probably the right choice, and even that requires a 6" clearance to combustibles, if my memory is correct.

My suggestion would be to shop around for a certified wood stove from a good fireplace shop that will install it for you. That will cost you a lot more, but be FAR more efficient and safe, I would bet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here