Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brick Fireplace Makeover

Posted by Ontario_DIYguy (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 05 at 21:13

Hi all again...

This is a follow up to my previous post only this time with a pic....I hope!

Brick Fireplace Makeover.

Getting tired of your brick fireplace? Heres an inexpensive way of changing its appearance totally. Ive got this plan to change mine to look kind of Victorian. The inexpensive aspect of this, is that in my case, Ill be using MDF board, a few bits of molding for the decorative stuff and painting it all white. The area around the opening and the top surface of the hearth Ill tile. It would be a lot more expensive but if anyone preferred woodgrain, it would be well worth the extra for some veneered board and wood moldings.

The existing fireplace is very 80s, built of red clay brick with bricks on edge for the mantel, a brick column to ceiling height at either side and a brass edged mirror filling the centre recess from the mantel to ceiling. No doubt that brick fireplaces will be in fashion again someday, so I will leave the whole thing intact, mirror and all. If I, or any future owner wanted to have the brick back by removing the facing, all the repairs required would be filling a few holes in the mortar joints where Ill put plugs to screw on some strapping.

Heres the plan:

1. Screw 1 x 4 strapping to the brick face, vertically at each side and on the ends, horizontally at the ceiling and above the mantel and vertically again between mantel and ceiling to suit the spacing of the recessed panels.

2. Screw 1 x 2 strapping to the 1 x 4s

3. Cut the MDF board to width and height required and also cut three panels out.

4. Screw the cut board to the 1 x 2 strapping then screw the three small panel cut outs back in their spaces and on to the lower 1x 4s. This will achieve the recessed panel effect when the small contoured molding is placed in and around the edge of the recess.

5. On the lower half, between the mantel and the hearth, screw 2 x 2s to the brick face to accommodate the MDF board. Or, if you want recessed panels on the bottom, use the use the double 1 x's similar to the top. Frame in hearth with 2 x 2s and cover with cement board . Fill in all countersinks for screw heads and sand flush. Around the opening, I will install cement board to accept the tile. The code here calls for 8" of non combustible material around the opening but other local codes may differ.

6. Place MDF board strips on the ends and install the mantel.

7. Finish by applying the decorative pieces and crown moldings.

8. Apply tile, marble or slate around fireplace opening and on hearth.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brick Fireplace Makeover

That is a great idea. We have a Wood stove that is partially inserted into a brick backdrop. Someone painted it white and the paint is chipping, it looks very bad. Wish I could do something like this with our setup.

o

Here's what I built with MDF, MDF moldings and travertine tiles:
[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/ventupete/102-0266_IMG.jpg[/IMG]

o

Here is a picture of the woodstove we currently have in our family room and the Demensions.

Brick: 82 3/4'w x 74 3/4't
woodstove sits on a 1' brick seating area
Stove is 12' wide
Flashing around stove is removable but is 40 3/4' wide x 18 3/4' tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace

o

Thansk for all the detail about the fireplace. Wondered if you could post your pic again... I cant seem to access it from the website techwriting.8m.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here