Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontario_diyguy

Brick Fireplace Makeover

ontario_diyguy
18 years ago

Hi all again...

This is a follow up to my previous post only this time with a pic....I hope!

Brick Fireplace Makeover.

Getting tired of your brick fireplace? HereÂs an inexpensive way of changing itÂs appearance totally. IÂve got this plan to change mine to look kind of Victorian. The inexpensive aspect of this, is that in my case, IÂll be using MDF board, a few bits of molding for the decorative stuff and painting it all white. The area around the opening and the top surface of the hearth IÂll tile. It would be a lot more expensive but if anyone preferred woodgrain, it would be well worth the extra for some veneered board and wood moldings.

The existing fireplace is very 80Âs, built of red clay brick with bricks on edge for the mantel, a brick column to ceiling height at either side and a brass edged mirror filling the centre recess from the mantel to ceiling. No doubt that brick fireplaces will be in fashion again someday, so I will leave the whole thing intact, mirror and all. If I, or any future owner wanted to have the brick back by removing the facing, all the repairs required would be filling a few holes in the mortar joints where IÂll put plugs to screw on some strapping.

HereÂs the plan:

1. Screw 1 x 4 strapping to the brick face, vertically at each side and on the ends, horizontally at the ceiling and above the mantel and vertically again between mantel and ceiling to suit the spacing of the recessed panels.

2. Screw 1 x 2 strapping to the 1 x 4Âs

3. Cut the MDF board to width and height required and also cut three panels out.

4. Screw the cut board to the 1 x 2 strapping then screw the three small panel cut outs back in their spaces and on to the lower 1x 4Âs. This will achieve the recessed panel effect when the small contoured molding is placed in and around the edge of the recess.

5. On the lower half, between the mantel and the hearth, screw 2 x 2Âs to the brick face to accommodate the MDF board. Or, if you want recessed panels on the bottom, use the use the double 1 x's similar to the top. Frame in hearth with 2 x 2Âs and cover with cement board . Fill in all countersinks for screw heads and sand flush. Around the opening, I will install cement board to accept the tile. The code here calls for 8" of non combustible material around the opening but other local codes may differ.

6. Place MDF board strips on the ends and install the mantel.

7. Finish by applying the decorative pieces and crown moldings.

8. Apply tile, marble or slate around fireplace opening and on hearth.

Comments (4)