Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a painted hearth a hazard with a wood burning insert?

Posted by stowy (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 07 at 21:05

I was wondering if this would be a problem, or do I need to cover it with tile or something? Thing is, if I do that, it would make it not level with the firebox anymore. Is it OK to have the hearth painted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a painted hearth a hazard with a wood burning insert?

What is the surface made of?
Most codes require a non-combustable surface of 18 inches in front of the insert.

o
RE: Is a painted hearth a hazard with a wood burning insert?

There are non-combustible mineral paints. Do a Google search for mineral paint or 'Keim' paint. But this would have to go over unpainted brick or stone. Like cearbhaill noted, if your hearth is made from something that can burn if a spark lands on it,(like carpet), or can ignite or pyrolize from being too close to an operating stove, (like hardwood), then you need to rip out the floor and put down something like cement board and then cover it with tiles to bring it back to even with the firebox.

Or are you talking about a fireplace which has been painted? That might be another issue all together with regard to clearance to combustibles. A little more information would help. What kind of insert are you looking at?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here