Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want modern treatment that's easy to revert to brick

Posted by essdana (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 25, 11 at 20:58

Is there a treatment that won't be too hard to remove if I or subsequent homeowner wants to revert to the brick? I know that paint is extremely difficult, and my taste runs contemporary anyway. I have a marble mantle with grey veining that I'd like to use. I was thinking of dark grey/black slate for the surround. Again, what would be involved in removing tile, i.e. what level of difficulty?

I also am leaning towards removing the bookcases; however this is a rental property and my contractor thinks I should leave them. If I do I'd stain them a darker color as I think they look dated.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brick fireplace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want modern treatment that's easy to revert to brick

Larger pic of current fireplace

Here is a link that might be useful: larger photo

o

My contractor reminds me frequently that I'm not going to live in this property lol. But it was my first house, and this is the renovation I always wanted. Also, I intend to turn the property into a vacation rental in Washington, DC at a nightly rate of $250-400 so the renovation has to be a bit more upscale than a typical rental. I've opened up the 9x9 kitchen by removing half of the wall b/t it and the dining room and removing the whole wall b/t the kitchen and sun room. This is a more contemporary look as is the Ikea Nexus brown-black cabinets in the kitchen http://flic.kr/p/b21gan . The home's exterior remains a craftsman-like style. Does this context make anyone re-consider keeping the brick?

Here is a link that might be useful: opening up first floor

o

Your pictures are all private.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here