Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Candles in a fireplace

Posted by aliceinmd (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 11, 08 at 20:05

If you put candles in a fireplace and want to light them, do you have to open the flue? Does the number of candles make a difference? ... I've seen pictures of candles burning in a fireplace, and they're beautiful, but the practical questions always surface. I'd appreciate any insight someone might have, especially from those who have done this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Candles in a fireplace

Candles can produce soot stained walls in houses --- often quite a mystery to people who use them but don't realize the possibility of them causing damage.

Using candles in a fireplace with the damper closed might start causing soot stains above the fireplace, or the damper might be leaky enough to vent out the soot. Some candles don't produce much soot.

Take your pick among these risks and options.

o

And the candles don't put out much heat either. You can't cuddle up to a candle on a snowy winter night as opposed to a real fire in the fireplace.

o

while some candles do produce soot, the better ones tend not to produce as much or none at all. My wife absolutely loves candles. Soy candles are some of the best. We burn wood for heat, so candles on our woodstove would not last long.

Soot stained walls are also not the end of the world as a coat or two of paint (sometimes primer needed) can take care of even the nastiest walls. I know as I have help flip a few house where chain smokers lived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here