Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are pallet leftovers considered seasoned?

Posted by Mustardbomb (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 19:39

My wife and I recently bought a load of small to large rectangle and square blocks of wood from a vendor who got them from a pallet company, and that sells them for firewood and other things like coal etc. They don't appear to be from old pallets as they don't have nails and aren't the thin pieces, they are about the size of the old metal lunchboxes kids carried to school. Some larger and some smaller. They seem to be leftovers from possibly making pallets. The reason I am posting this is because we recently had a chimney fire because we had been burning non-seasoned wood, (rookie mistake I know) and have since started buying and burning seasoned wood, with great success. We are wondering if this type of wood will cause creosote buildup like the unseasoned wood did, and if there is a way to test this wood to see if it is safe to burn. They said the pallet company delivered this wood to them around September of this year. We have the small Pacific Energy stove. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are pallet leftovers considered seasoned?

Does your stove have a catalytic converter? If so, do not use this wood. It's more than just seasoned wood, it's kiln dried, just like the pine boards you get from the lumber yard. And I have been told that this wood could damage the CAT. But otherwise, use it! It'll burn HOT and fast as there's very little moisture so it's great for starting fires or adding to an existing fire to get the stove temp up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here