Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjbgu04

Fire starts, then goes out

kjbgu04
15 years ago

Alright, I feel like a total idiot in posting this. I grew up in a house that had a wood-burning fireplace. If we wanted a fire, we opened the glass doors, prepped the kindling with lighter fluid, and voila! The kindling caught and after it was burning well, we added larger logs.

A marriage, a new city, and a baby on the way later, we just moved into a new house and had our chimney cleaned. This firebox does not have a glass door, just a standing screen we bought to keep the cat from getting in the ashes. Tried to start a fire as before - lighter fluid on small sticks and branches. The kindling catches right away and I put on wood about 1" in diameter. At first there is almost no smoke and the fire seems to be burning well. But slowly the house fills with smoke and the fire goes out. This time the house filled with smoke so badly that we had to open a window - I've heard that can help increase airflow. But the house just fills with smoke and the fire goes out.

House was built in 1971, though windows seem the newer kind, maybe mid-90s or so. Furnace is the high-efficiency kind, installed new in February 2008. The flue is open, of course. I feel like a total idiot that I can't keep a fire going in my house without it smoking the whole place up. Any ideas?

Comments (6)