Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting alot of smoke in house from FP....

Posted by wynnsman (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 28, 09 at 19:11

Hello I have a new constructed home and every time I build a fire in my prefab wood fp I get alot of smoke in the home....I have the flue wide open and also a side vent open. It makes no difference if windy, windows open or closed.....Any suggestions are welcome,,,,thanks in advance.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting alot of smoke in house from FP....

We have a insert, it was just boiling the smoke out when we opened the door. We have to pull the damper full out, open the door just a crack and wait a few seconds before we can open to load. The house seems like it is always full of smoke,smells so bad! I read something on an older post about a crimped liner causing this issue. Something about when a boot is added. This maybe part of my issue not sure. But this is an insert. Talk to the company who built it they may have some ideas.

o

Thanks ill give the builder a call...

o

Before starting a fire, take a hand held torch and place it inside near the top of your fireplace near the flute. If the flame is going up, then you know the smoke will raise. If it is coming back into your house you're going to get smoke.
I do this because in my house if the wind is blowing out of the south, I get down draft back into my house and if I try to start a fire, my house will fill up with smoke. I have heard that changing the chinney cap may help reduce the downdraft problems from wind sometimes. The problem has a lot to do with your roof design and were the fireplace chinney is. You just have to keep checking it with the torch on different wind directions.

o

I have noticed that I get smoke in the room when my furnace kicks on. There is a return in the ceiling at the back of the den where the fireplace is located, and it apparently pulls very effectively. This is probably not causing your problem, but I lived here for several years before I made the connection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here