Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Russian Fireplace

Posted by farmerjd (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 17:47

I have a Russian/Finish/Masonry fireplace. It was in the house when I bought it. They are supposed to stay clean but when I looked in the cleanout there is an inch of fluffy soot all around the interior. I suspect this is insulating the brick from the heat as it does not work well. It only has one cleanout in the back of the top horizontal run (run goes to right and left from the cleanout).
How do I clean out the other runs and everything else?

Also the damper seems to be partially blocked as I can only turn the knob from about the 11 oclock to 1 oclock positions. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Bonus question: Any ideas about adding an oven?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Russian Fireplace

You should be able to fit a dryer vent cleaning brush around some of the corners of the flues if you want to DIY it.

How are you operating it? That fireplace wants to run flat out on dry wood so that it doesn't have a chance to burn at temps which might produce creosote with 1 to two fires per day. With regard to the damper, you will probably need to find the heater mason that built it. It may be OK as is.
I doubt you could retrofit an oven on it without a lot of cost and headache.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here