Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
fireplace

Posted by philly_kid (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 12, 09 at 17:36

We're having an wood-burning insert installed into our chimney. We have three separate chambers going up for different fireplaces on different floors. Our insert needs just a little more space to fit in our chimney. I started removing bricks on the side and it opened up into another of the chambers going to the roof. If I keep going, I'll open it up completely. I'm thinking about opening it up and putting cement board in to close it up. It will give me enough room...


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: fireplace

Do yourself a favor. Consider a wood stove instead.

I recently spent $4000 on a Hampton HI300 wood insert. The amount of heat this thing produces isn't even enough to offset the cost of running the blower. As far as I am concerned, this was a total waste of $4000.

For anyone to suggest that these inserts are good for anything other than looks is a total lie. I will make sure I tell everyone I ever come into contact with the rest of my life that wood stove inserts are a waste of money so they don't get out right robbed like I did.


 o
RE: fireplace

We put an Avalon woodburning insert in our fireplace at our home in PA and it heated the entire house. We absolutely loved it. And with literally tens of thousands of inserts in place, they must be doing something right.

So maybe you just have the wrong size, or brand, that's all. What are your surface temps? They should be in the 500 to 600 degree range. If they're not, you've got to find out why. If they are, the insert's doing it's job, but you may be expecting more of it.

And it's interesting. We too had the blower on our insert, but we rarely used it. It seemed the house was colder when it was on, and warmer when it was off. No blower meant radiant heat where the walls and floors and furniturs got warm, and with the blower on, it just warmed the air.

When we moved to VT we didn't want a fireplace, so we installed a Regency woodstove and again, it heats the whole house. And we don't have a blower on it at all.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here