Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jp2code

Gas Fireplace keeps turning OFF

jp2code
10 years ago

We have a natural gas fireplace that has sat unused for years.

Two days ago, we bought some fireplace logs off of a local Facebook group.

I bought a few extra gas connectors, and spent some time googling how to get it going. (The gas rheostat has to be depressed to get the gas to flow. Who knew?)

Now that the fireplace is going, we sit back and enjoy its warmth.

After 20 to 30 minutes, it turns off.

The pilot light is still going, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the thermostat that the gas log assembly came with.

I walk over to check on it an hour or so later, and I find the pilot light is now out (OFF).

I lit it again, and just let the pilot light stay on by itself. It stayed on for a good 2 hours while our gas furnace kept the home warm.

So, I lit the gas logs again.

It did the same thing: It burned for a while, then the fire went out with the pilot light still on. About an hour later, I discover the pilot light is OFF.

Is there something internal that I need to check on the gas logs? It has what looks like 2 or 3 different regulator things, but I don't really know what all of the parts are.

Could it be shutting the gas off because our gas furnace is causing the gas pressure to get too low? How would I check that? A natural gas line does not have high pressure.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor