Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selling a Home - Flue Problems in a full masonry chimney

Posted by kpfeif (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 16:47

Hello.

We're selling a house for an estate (my grandfather's home). There are two masonry fireplaces with chimneys of masonry. The flue has some crumbling, etc., in each chimney. The chimneys are made of 100% masonry...the home's framing is also mostly masonry. My grandfather was a mason and built the home.

We've had the home inspection and that went ok, but now a "chimney inspector" is coming in. I'm a bit concerned as I'm not sure how impartial this person is going to be. After all, I believe they work for a chimney maintenance/restoration contractor. "Of course there's a problem - we can fix it for $$$$".

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selling a Home - Flue Problems in a full masonry chimney

I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Probably less than $1000 fix. I heard they have a sponge technique where they put a sponge on a pole full of cement like paste and seal up any cracks or holes.

This guy will "sell" you his services. He'll probably tell you its best to do it now before the sale of the estate.

Just keep in back of your mind that you can use it as a negotiating point in the sale. Offer the buyer to fix the flu liner (if there's a real problem).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here