Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salbwil

Collapsed clay flue

salbwil
9 years ago

Hi,
We had a wood burning stove inserted into our old metal heatalator type fireplace a few years ago. The installer told us at that time that he could not use old flue as it had collapsed inside the chimney . He installed a metal flue inside the chimney up to the roof. The stove works well , but when not in use, the cold air coming in below the stove is horrible and the wall above the stove gets pretty hot. Is removing the fireplace and chimney and starting over a huge expense ? The problems are causing worries and hearing costs . The house is 35 years old, with the chimney on outside wall.
Many thanks,
Salbwil

Comments (4)

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

It's not possible to be 100% sure from your description, but it sounds like the person who installed your metal flue did not install a block off plate. This insulated plate goes around the metal flue and prevents cold air from coming down the chimney and into the living area. It also sounds as if there may not be any insulation around the metal flue -this would account for much of the heat in the wall. Insulation would also be important to prevent creosote formation in an exterior chimney.

As for cost, it's impossible to say. I would certainly have a certfied chimney sweep or installer take a look. Everything may be OK, but there appear to be real questions about the safety of your present setup.

• christopherh
    9 years ago

I agree. The installer should have put ceramic fiber insulation around the liner to insulate the chimney because the chimney is 8 inches and the liner is 6 inches.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a chimney that originally had three flues . Because of the clay flue collapse, we direct exhausted through the foundation a new gas furnace. The second flue was for the fireplace and the third was unused in a family room in the basement . This third flue was blocked in the room itself. When the woodstove was installed, the installer looked down the chimney and said all the clay liners were collapsed.......by the way, the mason who built our fireplace in '78 also built one in the house down the street......they had a fire in their wall ; this has made me nervous about masons and stove installers in general.
    Salbwil

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

If the tile liners in all three flues collapsed, I would say the original installation was extremely poorly done unless your area experienced some major earth movement or the footings for the chimney were improperly done. Your neighbor's fire suggests the same things.

If the person who put in the metal flue did not insulate it or install a block-off plate, I think, without being needlessly alarmist, that your curent set up is really too dangerous to continue using without having it checked. You should have a metal liner designed for that purpose, definitely not ordinary stove pipe. This should be insulated and there should be a block off plate. Without these things, you have no protection in case of a chimney fire. Given the existing evidence of shoddy construction there may be problems with the chimney itself which would constitute a potentially serious fire hazard.

In many areas, the local fire department will inspect chimneys and stove installations. The Better Business Bureau is one place to look for masons and installers. Certified chimney sweeps, not just someone with a truck, a ladder and a brush, would be a safe bet as well.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists