Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
single to double-sided fireplace?

Posted by cyn427 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 16:11

We have a central chimney in our home. There are two fireplaces: one in the basement and one on the main floor. I assume there must be two flues. We never use the downstairs fireplace since it is in the library and clean-up would be a drag (literally..bringing the shop vac down the outside stairs to the lower level and then sucking up the cold ashes-ugh). Upstairs, the chimney is the only thing that separates the living room and dining room. We do use that fireplace frequently, but I would love to turn it into a double-sided one, so we could enjoy it from both rooms. Is this feasible? I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this set-up (house built in 1960-ranch style with lower walk-out level) and whether the second flue would interfere with opening the fireplace to both rooms. Thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: single to double-sided fireplace?

If the alteration you are thinking about can be done, it would be a major and costly project. I would get the opinions of at least 3 different fireplace experts. If they all agree that it can be done, and on how it should be done and the cost, then it's up to you to decide whether you want it badly enough to spend the money and live with the mess while they're working. But if even one of the 3 experts advises against it, I would not do it. You do incur a risk of "expert" opinion that is wrong (not so expert), or worse, a so-called expert who is just looking to make some money, and he can't make money if he says it can't be done. There is also a risk that, once they start the alteration and dig into this or that, that they find womething they did not expect, and they tell you that it will cost more to do it because of the unexpected finding.

You might also check with the forum in hearth.com. The people there love and breath fireplaces. You might get some interesting opinions from them. I wonder if they would agree or not.

o
RE: single to double-sided fireplace?

Thanks, Haus! You verified what I was already thinking. I wioll however cross-post the question as you suggest-just for fun. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here