Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa98112

cleaning brick fireplace front

lisa98112
18 years ago

Our fireplace is discolored from years of use. I like the look of the natural brick and don't want to paint it out. I read that you can clean it by re-etching with muriadic acid. I did a quick test and it's like day and night. The part I cleaned is gray in color and the rest is a dingy brownish color. The only problem I have is that the acid dissolves my plastic spray element quickly and I am wondering how best to apply it.

Has anyone else done this? Are there professionals one can hire to do this? Also I saw something on Hometime where they had their fireplace blasted with baking soda. Not sure if this just removes paint or also dirt and soot.

Thanks for any input.

Comments (5)

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

Oven cleaner (Easy-Off) works very well. Test a small area first before doing the whole thing.

• maykb
    18 years ago

i just wanted to add that oven cleaner really does work.....very little effort with a brass brush !! thanks, Xanndra.

• hobes1
    18 years ago

USE A STIFF BRUSH CORN OR SOMTHING LIKE THAT BUT INSTEAD OF MURIATIC ACID THERES A PRODUCT CALLE SURECLEAN WHICH IS LESS ABRASIVE TO THE SKIN MIX WITH THEY CLAIM 10 PARTS WATER BUT YOU CAN MIX IT STRONGER USE RUBBER GLOVES AND EVEN IF YOU GET SOME ON YOUR SKIN IT WILL NOT BURN AS MUCH AS THE OTHER ACID .. BUT IF OVEN OFF WORKS THAT MAY BE A BETTER WAY.. ALSO WITH ACID YOU HAVE TO WET IT DOWN AND RINSE IT WELL OTHERWISE IT CAN BURN THE JOINTS OF MORTAR..

• davidandkasie
    18 years ago

acid is best used only by pros and mainly outdoors. i have used it myself for a few projects, and it does tend to burn the skin and eyes.

try to other solutions first, if they do not work then wait until the weather is nice enough to open all the doors and windows before you use acid inside. i always used a sponge to dip in the acid, then wipe the wall, soaking it. let it sit a minute or so, then scrub, then rinse. you MUST rinse it well, so be prepared for water everywhere. put down plenty of towels and change them out often.

• DerekO
    10 years ago

The best way to do it is with Paint N Peel, non toxic-very easy-simply paint it on, let sit for atleast 8 hours, then peel it off. Check it out at www.ahealthyhearth.com

Here is a link that might be useful: A Healthy Hearth