Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace/Gas to Wood

Posted by firebelly (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 18, 08 at 15:50

I have a prefab metal fireplace that was installed when I had the house built-woodburning. I converted it to gas a few years ago, and in doing so had to knock out a plug that was in the refractory wall, that was made just for that purpose-for running a gas line inside. Well, I want to use wood again since the gas logs are no longer good. The only problem I have is that I have that hole in the refractory wall. Is there any way to plug that hole? If so, what are my options. I called the builder supply company that the fireplace came from, and the first thing they told me was that I needed to buy a whole new refractory-floor, back and both side walls. They are known for upselling and hard sell tactics. Even if I did do that though, the fireplace is 11 years old, and I don't know if I could even get the refractory since the company is out of business (Martin). Anyone got any ideas. I went to Lowes and saw several types of silicone fire block and heat resistant caulk, and even a fire retardant "foam". Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace/Gas to Wood

I suppose that anything other than replacing the board with the hole in it would void the manufacturer's warrentee the the fireplace will operate safely.

But really, this isn't rocket science. The idea is to prevent coals from migrating into the combustible materials behind the fireplace. So if you are willing to take a small risk, patching the hole with a suitable fireproof mortar or patching in a piece of firebrick ought to be safe enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here