Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firebelly_gw

Fireplace/Gas to Wood

firebelly
15 years ago

I have a prefab metal fireplace that was installed when I had the house built-woodburning. I converted it to gas a few years ago, and in doing so had to knock out a plug that was in the refractory wall, that was made just for that purpose-for running a gas line inside. Well, I want to use wood again since the gas logs are no longer good. The only problem I have is that I have that hole in the refractory wall. Is there any way to plug that hole? If so, what are my options. I called the builder supply company that the fireplace came from, and the first thing they told me was that I needed to buy a whole new refractory-floor, back and both side walls. They are known for upselling and hard sell tactics. Even if I did do that though, the fireplace is 11 years old, and I don't know if I could even get the refractory since the company is out of business (Martin). Anyone got any ideas. I went to Lowes and saw several types of silicone fire block and heat resistant caulk, and even a fire retardant "foam". Help!

Comment (1)