Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repair of a fireplace hearth

Posted by cfroth (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 07 at 15:22

The hearth in my 60 year old house has sunken below the wood floor by about a half an inch. The hearth is granite, measuring 51 by 16", about one inch thick. I have removed the mortar along the sides but can only maneuver the slab by a quarter of an inch. I cannot, therefore, get under it to lift it up in order to replace cement board or new mortar. The furnace is directly below the fireplace so I cannot get access underneath the slab. Any suggestion on how to lift the granite without tearing out the floor boards?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repair of a fireplace hearth

I feel for you. This sounds almost like a problem without a solution. I'm not really competent in these matters, but want anyway to toss out some ideas. Have you considered trying to wedge a large iron slab under the granite and gradually hammering it under? You might then be able to lift it? If you cannot do it yourself, can you find a contractor whose promises you can have confidence in? One possible compromise, if you haven't thought of it: Unless you're really attached to the look and feel of the granite, which I can understand, you might consider applying something over it, which could be tile, brick, or whatever.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here