Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Efficiency Direct Vent vs B-Vent

Posted by sorka (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 07 at 15:05

We're getting ready to install a pellet stove. It can be either installed with b-vent or direct vent. If b-vent, we'd let combustion air come in through the back and ulimately, from outside. Our house is about 10 years old but by no means anything near airtight. Even our whole house fan grill would provide enough combustion through put and along with all the imperfectly sealed doors and such, it would more than suffice.

However, it occurs to me that direct vent, on a sufficiently long enough run, will be much more efficient because the air coming in will scrub almost all the heat exiting outside and will result in a much less heat loss to the outside. Since I have to get cold air from outside either through imperfectly insulated parts of the house or through a single pipe that that encases a smaller hot exhuast pipe, it seems like a no brainer.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Efficiency Direct Vent vs B-Vent

I would go direct vent for exactly the same reason.

o
RE: Efficiency Direct Vent vs B-Vent

You cannot vent a pellet stove with B-Vent, it has to be L-Vent (which is listed to UL 641). There are stoves that use direct vent L-Vent, but it is different than the B-Vent version (has stainless flue instead of aluminum). As far as running direct vent, manufacturers also sell wall thimbles that have a hole for the return air tube, so you just have to make one penetration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here