Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much room would this take?

Posted by lavender_lass (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 14:14

I really like this fireplace, but it would be more for ambiance than heat. We have a fireplace in the living room (plan to add insert) and wood stove planned for sunroom. We don't have natural gas (live in country) and don't want to use propane...too many hunters!

So, how large would this have to be? Could we have a small wood burning fireplace or would an electric insert be possible? Love the look, but don't want it to overpower room, which will be 23' x 12' with kitchen on other end. Thanks in advance :)

From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much room would this take?

I have seen this up on the board and you haven't had much help. You need to be a bit clearer on what you want to achieve. Do you want to heat the room as primary heat or do you want the decorative effect as in the photo? Any small wood insert will heat that small of a room. Actually overheat it. An electrical unit may look nice but that is actually too large of a space for a 1500W unit as primary heat depending on the heat loss in the room.

If it's for décor only get the electrical insert of your choosing. For heat, wood insert with glass doors and the mess and labor that goes along with wood burning. It is a young mans sport. Look at what's available to you in your area for both. The wood insert and all that goes with it can be costly, then there are insurance issues to be dealt with for wood burning.

o
RE: How much room would this take?

Thank you for the reply! I was thinking a small wood burning fireplace, with seating. Probably far too large for my space (with dining) so I'm now thinking table in other area, with two chairs and ottoman by fireplace.

The space is 12' wide and I would like to include french doors, but they would obviously not be centered on wall. I'm guessing fireplace would need to be 4' to 5' on each side, with the diagonal being to 6' to 7'.

The chimney would also have a wood stove hooking into it, from another room. Thanks again, for the reply :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here