Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chimney question (rodent control)

Posted by just_julie (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 13:32

Not sure if this is the proper forum but a chimney is attached to a fireplace and I'm desperate!

We have a rodent (and shrew!) issue and I suspect the things are getting in through the chimney. The original owner had a regular wood burning fireplace converted into a Jotul Woodburning stove... set the stove on the hearth and ran the pipe up the chimney.

We know for a fact animals have entered here because we fell asleep on the couch one night and were woken up at 4 am by a baby squirrel falling down and somehow getting into the room.

We called a local wood stove dealer/installer (same guy that cleaned everything when we moved in) .. he said he climbed up there and caulked.

We still have animals getting in- Orkin can't find any access points -- they won't go on the roof.

We are considering installing a metal (copper?) band around the outside of the chimney, 2 feet wide to prevent anything from crawling up there.

Has anyone tried this? Would it actually work? Internet searches have shown similar bands on inside wall corners and also bands around trees to discourage raccoons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chimney question (rodent control)

I would get an inspection from another chimney expert, an impartial one who has not worked on your chimney. I would also look closely at the owner's manual for the Jotul unit you have installed. If the previous owner did not give you one (he should have), you may be able to get one from the Jotul website. They sometimes offer them for downloading as pdf files. In my limited understanding of these things (I have a Jotul direct vent gas logs insert in my fireplace), installing a stove in a fireplace probably involves a fair amount of work in retrofitting certain components into the chimney, and probably also requires installing something new at the top -- I think they call it a chase. It is quite possible that the installer of your stove cut some corners and did not follow the Jotul installation instructions. With the manual in hand, you may then be better informed on what needs to be done to correct the problem.

o
RE: chimney question (rodent control)

Thank you, Haus. We do have the owner's manual and it's likely the original owner/builder didn't do something properly.

Guess we should start there and not just address the climbing issue!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here