Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak vs Maple?

Posted by naturalstuff (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 16, 08 at 11:53

I chopped down a Norwalk Maple Feb. 08'. The wood from it flames and burns nicely and easily. Lots of flames.

I picked up some oak from this guy and he claims he took the tree down in Spring 2007. It doesn't flame like the Maple does.

Anyone have any idea why? Is it cause it's a hardwood and burns slower?

Could it be rotted or still wet?

He never covered the split wood but It looks dry as hell. It does have moss and mushrooms on some of the peices.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak vs Maple?

if it has mushrooms, it ain't dry. oak takes a good year to season, heck i had soem that was 2-3 years old and still "green".

just start your fire with the maple and toss in the oak when it gets going good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here