Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earnedit

Best and Most Authentic Looking Fireplace?

Earnedit
18 years ago

Hi -

I am currently building a new addition to my house and need a premanufactured fireplace. I can either go with woodburning or gas, but my biggest requirement is that the fireplace looks authentic..

I have looked at the Heatilator Icon Series, but was not impressed. The "firebrick" looked cheap and very fake.

Like I said, this fireplace is for ambience, not heating. Certainly if there was a direct vent model that looks authentic, I would consider it. But at this point, it looks like my best bet is to go with a premanufactured woodburning fireplace.

So which one is the most authentic looking?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• Earnedit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Macey -

Thanks for taking the time to give me such valuable information.

I took a look at the Lennox website, and the options look good. Of course, I will have to go and check them out in person.

I do like the Montebello direct vent aesthetically. I also like the idea of producing heat with it. However, your point is well taken concerning the possibility of throwing off too much heat in a bedroom.

A question regarding this - in cases where I don't want as much heat, could I simply run it with the glass doors open?

Thanks again.

• Macey
    18 years ago

The Montebello is a gas direct vent style. This means you CAN NOT remove the glass. If you post your city maybe you can be directed to a dealer in you area.

• Earnedit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am in Jersey City, NJ (NYC Metro).

• DebOrlando
    18 years ago

We just remodeled and went with Heat & Glo's Escape. It has cantilevered firebrick that has a blackened look, with a light in the logs you can use alone, and what's really cool is after you have the fire on for 5-10 minutes, the logs glow red. It's a frameless style, so you don't see any metal around the front of it at all. Must be a diret-vent, it has a glass door on it that's permanent. Since we live in Florida, we just want it for looks...we do NOT want heat from it. I don't know the techie stuff...I just liked it for the style and looks. I'm sure their website can give you all the specs. I know it's also larger than most...we're tiling it right now and it's going to look great.

• HeyPearly
    18 years ago

Read the previous post re Eiklor gas logs. The most realistic product on the market today. Will go in any vented fireplace you install. Love mine!

• pinecrest
    18 years ago

You might like this style, as well. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Excalibur Arched Top

• Earnedit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all for the helpful replies.

My contractor has recommended to me a pre-built masonry fireplace from a company in Arizona. Supposedly, it is the next best thing to a masonry fireplace as far as authenticity goes. It can be used for either woodburning or gas logs.

I think this could be good. Combine this with the Eiklor logs could be a real winner.

I don't know the cost yet, but it is supposed to be way cheaper than an onsite built masonry fireplace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prebuilt Masonry Fireplace

• ruthmiamibeach
    18 years ago

What about Town & Country Fireplaces? townandcountryfireplaces.net Sits directly at floor level, really looks like a true hearth even though it's gas... Take a look. Anyone have any experience with them?

• sweeby
    18 years ago

OK - I'm a total novice here -

But can someone please deescribe what would be 'authentic-looking' and what would not? I can see how an electric fire's flame is not generally authentic-looking, but wouldn't a gas flame's authenticity be more about the logs than the fireplace? Or am I missing something totally?

• Earnedit
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sweeby,

When I started this thread, my question was about the fireplace itself, not the flame. I really want the fireplace to look as much like a masonry fireplace as possible. In general, I find that the pre-manufactured fireplaces (you know, the ones that are made out of sheet metal and have the fake brick panels) look horrible. So, I was asking if someone knew of a pre-ma ufactured fireplace that looked as close to a real mansonry fireplace as possible.

Hope that helps.

• remlik
    16 years ago

Well, I installed a Heat & Glo Exclaim 42 Woodburning fireplace with traditonal brick masonry interior (versus herringbone). I thought it was as close a look that I could get to the real thing. Even though I put in a woodburning fireplace I did put in Eiklor 30" LP logs with the 5 burner setup. The woodburning boxes generally have gas knockouts on either side. From the sofa I have to say it looks pretty darn good.