Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My gas fireplace keeps shutting off

Posted by nelly_2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 07 at 11:15

My house is 5 five years old and I've used my fireplace every winter without any problems. Now, I have to light my pilot every time I turn it on. It stays lit for about 20 minutes and then the flames start to go down until the pilot and the flames go completely out. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My gas fireplace keeps shutting off

Look at the flames and pilot burner flame carefully.

Do those flames tend to lift off the burner, change color and perhaps turn a dark blue, then become thready and then disappear?

If so, your fireplace is starved for combustion air and the flames are being snuffed out.

That could be a plugged vent pipe, inadequate combustion air supply, a vent pipe that has a gap or separation in it, a gasket around the glass that has detriorated or other such problem.

o

My vent pipe was plugged. Great call seattlepioneer. My fireplace is breathing well now.

o

Hi Nelly,
Glad to see you recieved valuable advice to get your problem correctd.
Where was your vent pipe blocked,(termination cap on the ouside or the pipe itself), and what was it blocked with?
I am just curious because I have a Direct Vent,(LP Gas), Stove and Fireplace insert with high wind termination caps. Just in case I run into a similar problem down the road someday.
Thanks,
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here