Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top load vs. front load

Posted by kelp (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 10:29

I'm trying to decide between either a Vermont Castings Stove -- which allow you to load the wood from the top -- and a Jotul, that you have to load from the front. I'm concerned that the Jotul's front-loading system will allow hot ashes/burning coals to fall on the floor. Is this a concern?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top load vs. front load

A top load stove is easier on the back. Front and/or side loading stoves are much more common. All of them have a lip designed to catch ashes. Burning coals will not spill out unless you allow their depth to get too great. Fine ash is another issue; no matter how careful you are some will come out onto the lip when you open the loading door. Most codes require a minimum of 18" of non-flammable hearth surface from any door.

Before you decide on a stove, check reviews and comments from owners at www.hearth.com. The original Vermont Castings company made great stoves. Bankruptcies, ownership changes,and warranty issues in recent years have caused many to avoid this brand.

o

Thanks. I'll have to do some research to see if any companies besides Vermont Castings has a top-loading stove.

o

Kelp the Harmon TL300 and Quadra-Fire Isle Royale are other top loaders that you might want to look at. The Isle Royale is a cast iron stove and looks a bit like the VC stoves. You should also look at and consider that many stoves are side loaders like some of the Hearthstone soapstone and cast iron stoves.

o

Thanks, nhyankee. I ended up with a Hearthstone Tribute. We'll see how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here