Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fireplace insert surround dimensions

Posted by hearthside_im_all_in (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 7, 08 at 10:14

Hi all,

We're planning to install a wood insert into our existing masonry fireplace. The brick fireplace has four square, grated openings (say 8x8"), one in each corner. I suspect this may be for air flow in addition to style, as you can feel warm air coming out of the top ones when a fire is going. All of the inserts we have seen have black surrounds of at least 8", and I have concerns about what this would do to the appearance of the fireplace.

What, exactly, is the function of the insert surround?
Is there a required minimum width?
Does the surround have to be metal?
Would blocking/covering the fireplace vents be an issue if the insert blower fan is managing the circulation?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fireplace insert surround dimensions

The purpose of the insert surround is to cover up the hole in the fireplace and give it an acceptable appearance.

I wouldn't expect that covering up the existing warm air vents with the insert surround would be a problem. But I'd get the opinion of a fireplace installer to be sure --- you never know.

o
RE: fireplace insert surround dimensions

Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like the insert surround could then be smaller than the 8" we've seen, as long as it's enough to cover the hole... I was concerned that this size might be required by code. If it isn't, then perhaps we could trim the surround panels so the vents aren't blocked after all. Best of both worlds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here