Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Fire almost got out of control

Posted by premio53 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 9:36

I have a 2002 modular home and have never used my wood burning fireplace until this year. I have used it several times without any problems but unbeknownst to me my grandchildren had been putting plastic spoons and various other articles in the vent just above the fireplace. Well it finally ignited and I managed to put it out but it was pretty frightening.

Does anyone know if any damage could have been done to the house itself inside the vents? Is the area insulated enough that the heat would not reach outside the chimney area? I don't plan on using it again until it has been inspected but any thoughts would be appreciated.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Fire almost got out of control

Just a follow up. I discovered the vent area is completely enclosed so most of the danger was smoke filling the house and even though fire was coming out of the vent (really scary) it probably would not have spread beyond that point. If anyone has small children around the house and you have any vents like that around your fireplace you might want to inspect them to make sure little hands haven't put things where they don't belong. Things like crayons, paper, plastic material etc. A wake up call.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here