Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hearthstone Equinox

Posted by HaydenPondFarm (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 6:47

Hi,

We just installed a brand new Hearthstone Equinox wood stove. Unfortunately it arrived with a large scratch on the soapstone top. Hearthstone shipped the stove in a open lattice crate and something likely got between the slats to make the scratch, but it didn't cause any visible damage to the crate to give us pause for signing. Hearthstone customer service, if you can call it that, has been completely unresponsive. After weeks of trying we got this answer: "We would never send a stone out with such a large scratch. If it is an actual scratch, it was done after it left the factory." My dealer said they won't help us.

I don't understand paying a premium for a made in Vt stove and then getting worse than outsource model support.

Any ideas on how to get some help?

Thanks, Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hearthstone Equinox

Hearthstone is owned by a Spanish company, Hergom which does most of the castings. The soapstone usually comes from Brazil. The stove might be made in VT from those parts but given the poor state of the Spanish economy and the misplaced austerity measures in the EU, I'm not surprised that the service is poor. It sounds like you're dealing with one of the overseas people.

When your dealer says they won't help you, do you mean the dealer or Hearthstone? Because the dealer should be the first person to go to bat for you. I would find out who the stove distributor wholesaler is for your region and get in touch with them. They probably know some of the Hergom/Hearthstone salespeople. Good luck. Small shallow scratches in soapstone can be sanded out easily but if it's deep you'll need to replace either the stone or the stove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here