Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Logs and Delivery system

Posted by pete76 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 4:39

I don't know anything about gas fireplaces so I am looking for some guidance. Here is the situation as I understand it. I recently bought a condo that is about 15 years old. The gas fireplace worked intermittently and the flames were low. It eventually stopped working completely.

I've had two people in to look at it and they tell me that they can't get replacement parts to fix it.

This seems to leave me with the option of replacing the logs and mechanism back to the switch. I'm happy with the mantle.

I see plenty about replacing the logs but what should I be asking for to make sure they replace everything?

Also, any recomendations? I am interested in a nice flame and heat if possible. When this worked it didn't provide any heat to speak of.

Thanks in advance.......

Pete76

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Logs and Delivery system

I'm a big advocate of checking out gas FPs in person, to see what looks good to you and what doesn't. I love the clean face units in theory, but in practice you can tell there's glass between you and the flame, which ruins the effect for me. I find I actually prefer units with screen in the doors, to obscure things just a bit. The exception to that are the Napolean models with lights inside-- sounds silly, but look great. OTOH, some of the units from big companies feature light colored interiors that look antiseptically clean-- doesn't sound bad, but looks awful.

I'm going mostly with Mendottas, which have excellent efficiency and turndown rates combined with very nice flames. The 'upgrades' like nickle doors are SUPER pricey, though.

But if I were you, I'd try to find the brand of the FP somewhere in the works. I'd want a dealer from the same company to check it out, just to be sure. Unless it was an off-brand, super cheap builder's special, it seems strange to me that no parts are available. I'm wondering if you mignt be at the same sort of disadvantage as taking a Toyota to a GM dealer for service. Theoretically possible, but you are gonna get hosed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here