Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to all this

Posted by codywayne718 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 3:50

started lookin into a fireplace insert an came across this website, seems like a lot of info and nice ppl here, i am jus wonderin if i should worry about the dimensions of a wood burning insert, most importantly the depth, would it be alright if the insert were an inch or 2 deeper than the fireplace??? thanks in advance from a very lost gut

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to all this

You'll find highly detailed answers to all questions about wood stoves and inserts at www.hearth.com.

o

Do yourself a favor. Consider a free standing wood stove instead.

I recently spent $4000 on a Hampton HI300 wood insert. The amount of heat this thing produces isn't even enough to offset the cost of running the blower. As far as I am concerned, this was a total waste of $4000.

For anyone to suggest that these inserts are good for anything other than looks is a total lie. I will make sure I tell everyone I ever come into contact with the rest of my life that wood stove inserts are a waste of money so they don't get out right robbed like I did.

o

Inserts are way more efficient than an open fireplace. If you want efficiency go with a yukon wood furnace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood furnaces.

o

I had an insert and I loved it. It heated our house nicely. But if it's not heating, what is the surface temperature? At normal operation, it should be between 500 and 600 degrees. If it isn't, you need to figure out why. If it is, then it's doing what it's supposed to do.

We also had a blower on our Avalon insert, but we rarely used it, and then only during the coldest weather at a very low speed. Because when it was on, the room seemed colder as the blower was just heating the air instead of the objects in the room. It reminded me of the early heat pumps. You would set it at 72 degrees in winter, and the air coming from the registers was 72 degrees. And we were cold all the time.

We built our current home and didn't include a fireplace and went with a freestanding Regency stove and currently it's 5 degrees outside and the stove is keeping the house comfy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here