Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Auger problems on my pellet stove

Posted by thegonees (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 31, 05 at 2:25

I bought an Avalon (brand) Newport (model) pellet stove this summer. I bought it used and it is about 5 years old. It's worked great up until today. We weren't paying attention and allowed the hopper to empty. I filled the hopper up but the burning tray wasn't filling. I just dismissed it thinking that the auger needed to reprime. After 30 minutes I cleared all the pellets out of the hopper and noticed that the auger wasn't moving even though the auger light still came on at regular intervals. I've listened closely to it when the auger light comes on and I don't hear anything. I can wiggle the auger side to side a little so I don't think it has frozen up. It does have a fuse but that looks okay. Would this fit the criteria for a auger motor problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Auger problems on my pellet stove

It might just be jammed with a long pellet or sawdust. This is a common problem with top-feeders. Also, if you just switched to a different brand pellet, it might not be a good choice for your model stove. If you can't see anything or feel any obstruction or be able to move the auger manually, then you will need to take out the auger to check for a jam.(Unplug the unit first of course before doing anything) If that is not it, then it could be a problem with the motor. But given the timing of it all, I'm betting on a long pellet or sawdust. If you are unsure of how to do this you should contact your dealer for a service call.

o
RE: Auger problems on my pellet stove

I just got a pellet stove from my Aunt as it wouldn't work for her and she was tired of it. After taking it apart I determined it is just a gear on the auger motor that is broken. Does anyone know if a person can buy replacement gears or will the whole motor have to be replaced. Seems like such a waste to buy a new motor for upwards of $80.00 plus shipping when it is only a 2-3 dollar gear that is broken. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here