Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my fireplace made for ceramic logs? Help!

Posted by rob4mtheblock (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 2:21

On the outside of my fireplace there is a pipe with a knob. Currently perpendicular as its off I can move parallel to pipe to turn as on.. The pipe goes into my fireplace I am not sure if this pipe is just to start a wood fire or if I can buy a care mic log set and use this gas pipe to stay on for the ceramic set.. This is my first time owning a fireplace so I'm lost..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my fireplace made for ceramic logs? Help!

I believe that photo is posted upside down.

However as far as that fireplace being a gas only from what I can see it is not. Not being able to see it clearly I would say no its not, what it appears to be is an ignition line for wood.

I am concerned with what appears to be a 90 degree elbow that is in very poor condition. Please, I beg you please have a local pro look at the unit first hand before you light the fireplace. I know money can be tight after a move but I want you get someone in there to check that gas line as well as flue before you do anything with that unit. I was told by a firefighter the #1 cause of fires in the fall and winter are fireplaces. Just last New Years my next door neighbour had a chimney fire from a dirty flue that caught fire, that's when I talked to the firefighter.

As well he will give you a definite answer as to what you have there.

I wish I could be of more help, but you need to service that unit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here