Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnwomanbc

Recommendations for freestanding gas stoves?

mtnwomanbc
17 years ago

Currently we have a Vermont Castings Aspen (small size) wood stove in our fairly large master bedroom suite, but I've noticed increasing congestion problems in the morning, and frankly the debris and ash mess is annoying. A few years ago, we switched out a wood stove fireplace insert in our livingroom with a gas hearth insert, and like it very much, and now I'm thinking about doing the same in the MBr, with a small free standing gas model. Several models are out there (Hearthstone, Jotul, others), but Hampton/Regency seems to be the best priced. BTUs are all similar for 600 sq ft. Room is approx. 13 x 22 with vaulted ceilings going from 8' to 14', no attic, stove at the lower end of vault.

Any recommendations, cautions, etc.? Hampton/Regency is having an excellent sale starting in January '07, so some expert feedback would be much appreciated!

Comments (3)

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

mtnwomanbc,
    hopefully the pros will chime in on which stoves to buy.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my second heating season with a DV free standing 40K BTU gas stove for my basement, which is ~1000 sq ft. It heats fast and I love the convenience. I would think for a MBR of 600 sq ft, a smaller size stove should do fine. If you haven't already, familiarize yourself with the specs, i.e. btu, effeciency so you can compare apples to apples. Enjoy your stove! -jasper

• mtnwomanbc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We went with blower and thermostat in the Livingroom (actually a Greatroom) and will do same in MBr. $300 more but only way to go...
    Louise

• mtnwomanbc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I solicited your opinions a while ago regarding freestanding gas stoves, and here are the final results, with more details than originally solicited since I'm such a (finally!) happy camper right now!

Changes:
    1) Constructed platform (2 x 4's and hardy-backer)
    2) Straightened/plumbed walls
    3) Moved/added electrical outlet for blower
    4) Plumbed in new gas line, 1/2" line tee-d off 3/4" line that goes to downstairs hearth. Per code, according to plumbers.
    4) Tiled/grouted/enhanced & sealed
    5) Installed hearth
    6) Mtnwomanbc doing a happy dance!

All choices and designs were mine. All labor was hired out.

I bought a Lexington Forge gas hearth on eBay in January (for less than half retail, discontinued design), took delivery February, and then dealt with the platform, getting gas plumbing & electrical done (or so I thought), buying mosaic on eBay and waiting for over 3 weeks for delivery (grrr), ordering and receiving the field tile, having electrical fixed, getting tile quotes, having platform and wall fixed due to problems pointed out by tiler, redesigning green onyx mosaic design since I now didn't have enough...that outer strip of mosaic on the platform was NOT planned, getting tile installed, enhancing/sealing tile, and now finally hearth installation!!!

Of course there were glitches today as well...the blower I received from the eBay seller didn't fit, and the installer and I now think I don't need one anyway, so I'll see if I can get a refund from the eBay seller, or at least partial. also uppermost sliding sleeve was a dicey fit, and not cosmetically very nice, so installer will replace it in a week or two.

Tile is Crossville's "Quartzite" / Green 12x12 and 3x3 mosaics on 12x12 sheets, and mosaic is tumbled green onyx 1x1 mosaics on 12x12 sheets.

Before -- tacky "brick" tiles stuck to wall with mastic, no grout, with broken brick floor. :(

After -- no more ashes, wood, kindling, and soot! Yay! :)

In the preview (at least on my laptop), the stove looks so bright it practically "floats" off the background -- it obviously does not -- it ties in with the background quite well.

Similar to the Kitchens forum, I just wanted to share a BEFORE and AFTER, hoping to see more of those here soon!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?