Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Posted by ceciliastar1 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 0:39

We just bought a house that was built in 1920. This fireplace insert came with the house but I can't tell what it is or how it works.

Can anyone explain what all the gadgets are on it, why is there a plug?

Also, would this vent through the chimney? I don't know if it does because in the master bedroom there is a hookup for a gas I'm guessing the chimney isn't real?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Can anyone tell me what this is?

I don't want to sound like a smart Alec but it works by burning wood in it. Maybe I misunderstand your first question.

As far as the gadgets the handles on the doors open the doors. The round knobs on the doors open and close to control the amount of air entering the unit to control combustion, more air more flame, less air less flame which equates to the heat emitted, sort of a manual thermostat.

The bottom handle looks like it pulls out the ash tray to aid cleaning.

The strange handles and metal that goes across the top looks to be an add on that opens the top of the stove. Can't really tell from here.

I can't see a "plug".

Yes it must vent through a chimney, if you have a gas unit sharing the same stack don't ever light this unit unless you know for certain it has it's own independent chimney and that unit and chimney has been inspected by a qualified solid combustion technician to ensure it's usable.

Most likely the units doors are packed with asbestos, it's fine if not disturbed or crumbling.

You have a nice decoration leave it as a decoration.

Hope this helped.

RE: Can anyone tell me what this is?

LOL, I guess my first question did sound kind of dumb. I meant more along the line of what brand?

Thank you for the information!

RE: Can anyone tell me what this is?

I got a chuckle out of this. That IS a fine old wood stove for sure.
I can see the plug and wonder if you could show us where it leads. I suspect it is some kind of fan shenanigan.
The wooden knobs and handle are goofy and should be changed to something else when you get around to it.

RE: Can anyone tell me what this is?

Sorry I see the plug, need to call my wife at work and ask her where the ketchup is. A fan is often placed at the front of the stove to move the hot air.

If you have read some questions here actually yours wasn't that dumb at all.

If the top opens like the bonnet on a car we call those " Quebec heaters". Probably now a generic term for a top loader like everything that is plastic that you store stuff in is Tupperware.

The original handles were probably white ceramic and replaced with those.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here